Mounthooly is at the head of the stunningly beautiful College Valley in North Northumberland just below the Hen Hole and Cheviot itself and is on the Pennine Way and St Cuthberts Way walking routes.
The bunkhouse welcomes 24 guests to this wonderful location
- Bunkhouse – sleeps 24
- 1-mile to the bottom of Cheviot and the Hen Hole.
- 20 beds in main building in three rooms; two 9-bed rooms and one 2-bed room.
- Family annex room, 4 beds, en-suite with shower, microwave and kettle.
- Clean bedding provided (duvets, pillows and sheets included)
- Beds are not made up on arrival.
- Communal lounge and fully kitted kitchen with appliances and utensils/crockery
- Fast, unlimited Wi-Fi
- Well behaved dogs welcome with prior permission. Please read our dog policy here.
- Log burning stove (logs supplied)
- Two shower rooms in main building with toilets and hot water.
- Barbeque (You’ll need to bring your own charcoal).
- Undercover cycle storage
- The hostel is surrounded by greenery, hills and trees and there is a grassed area directly outside the bunkhouse with two picnic tables.
Full bunkhouse bookings only
Book the full bunkhouse via Air BnB
£300 per night
£250 for charities (Charity no. required) per night
Whole bunkhouse available
Beds available in main bunkhouse & family annex is available (some booked)
Beds available in main bunkhouse but family annex unavailable
Pilo’s got gills. Amazing as always. 3rd year here and gets better every time. Great walk and super clean place to come home to. Thank you.
Came for a birthday weekend with friends and had the best time! Charlene is the best host, so accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed for a lovely stay. The views are incredible and cannot wait to visit again. Thank you so much!!!
Amazed by how beautifully clean the bunkhouse was when we arrived- cleaner than many hotels! The wood stove was glorious in the wet and wind making this a cosy retreat in a fantastic remote corner of walking country. Thank you very much for a lovely stay!
Family Annex and Beds booking enquiry
The family annex:
£68.00 per night
(could be anywhere in the main bunkhouse or annex)
This is normally £18 per adult per night &
£15 concession (students, registered charities and under 18’s).
Please contact Charlene for further information.
Traveling by Car:
From the South:
Leave the A1 for the A697 north of Morpeth, signed for Coldstream. Stay on the road until a couple of miles north of Wooler; at Akeld buildings there is a left turn signposted to Kirknewton and Yetholm. Turn left and follow the road for three miles. Go through Kirknewton and over the little bridge, just after the bridge there are some cottages on the left. At the end of the cottages turn left, signposted to Hethpool.
From the North:
Take the A697 south from the A68. Cross the bridge into England at Coldstream and through Cornhill and Crookham. South of Crookham take the second right – soon after the left to Ford Castle – Go past Flodden and over a cross roads, pass several buildings on your left and at the bottom of a hill where the road swings round to the right turn left, which is actually going straight on. Cross the river and when you come to a T-junction turn left. Follow the road past Kilham until you come to a row of cottages on the right, immediately before the cottages turn right signposted Hethpool.
The Valley is not easily accessed by public transport, however the East Coast mainline stations of Alnmouth and Berwick are within easy travelling distance. Regular bus services are available to Wooler from each station, and, if willing to continue, a bus can be caught to Kirknewton. From there you would have roughly an hours walk to the Valley.